Learning as I go

In the last 5 years I have really taken to cooking. I didn't do much at first, some baking mostly. I have discovered it is a new passion of mine and felt that this would be a great way to share the many recipes that have come my way along with some originals of my own. In the last couple weeks we have started receiving CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) - local grown fruit and vegetables and boy have I had fun figuring out what all I can do with it. Ive been making and cooking things I never imagined I would. So if you have found a passion in cooking like I have you have come to the right place. I hope you enjoy!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Squash Pecan Muffins/Bread


We have gotten quite a bit of squash the last couple of weeks so I decided why not use the Zucchini recipe and substitute it with some squash instead? I have used both the yellow and green summer squash they both work really well. I recently took some into work for a potluck and they were a hit!

Quick Zucchini/Squash Bread

2 loaves or 24 muffins (I did one of each)
3 eggs
1 cup olive oil
1 ¾ cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini/summer squash, yellow or green
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour ( I did one part white 2 parts whole wheat)
3 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans or line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt and nuts. Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.
Bake loaves for approx 60 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Muffins will bake quickly, approx 20 to 25 minutes.

I did the muffins first then added about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips to the remaining batter for the bread.
Recipe from Tiny's Organic Newsletter July 27, 2011

Love and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment